A.Y. Jackson Secondary School is a community high school with a commitment to excellence.
We are committed to creating a positive learning environment for all our students. Our academic program is challenging and is designed to provide students with a strong academic and technological foundation for their future studies. We empower all learners to become members of the global society by providing opportunities for growth in a respectful and nurturing community.
AYJ offers a Certiﬁcate in International Studies. Many students beneﬁt from international exchanges/class trips including: Peru (2015), Spain (2003–2010), China (Beijing 2009, 2012,2014), New York (2011, 2014), Washington (2009), Guatemala (2009), Greece (2011, 2014), France (2009, 2012), Boston (2010, 2012, 2015). AYJ was also one of the first 6 schools in the board to run the program, and is the ﬁrst school in the world to be given Global Learning Centre status. This acknowledges the degree to which staff embeds the importance of global citizenship in the curriculum. AYJ has loaned over $100,000 to KIVA entrepreneurs since 2010. This puts the school 8th in the world out of 1500 schools in terms of funds raised and loaned. This initiative has been led by our Business and Geography departments.
Over the past many years, AY Jackson’s musical groups have received many awards at the annual Capital Region MusicFest. Our Music, Drama, Dance and Visual Arts programs combine resources and expertise in theatrical productions. We have participated in the Cappies Program since 2006, and have won many awards over the years we have been involved in the program.
• In addition to traditional academics we offer a comprehensive French Immersion Program and a well-established Cooperative Education Program.
• At AYJ we are proud of all our students: A large percentage of our students are Ontario Scholars (earning an average of over 80%), and a number of these also receive Silver Medals (earning an average over 90 per cent); Our students have the opportunity to earn a French Immersion Certiﬁcate and Extended French Certificate. Other certificates earned by our students include the International Studies certificate, the Technological Studies Certificate.
• AYJ has over 40 interscholastic athletic teams and clubs. Many of our teams participate at the NCSSAA and OFSAA levels. Also in 2015, AYJ opened our new fitness room. We have spinning, yoga, zumba and kickboxing classes. Our most recent club is Man Up a group of male students who address issues of violence against women.
• Students and staff have a strong sense of community involvement with a standing tradition of contributing to many worthwhile causes such as raising over $27,000 to support the Lwak Girls’ School in Kenya, collecting toys for Toy Mountain, or collecting money and items to help a Syrian family outfit their home.
• A.Y.’s J-Crew provides leadership and mentoring opportunities for senior students to help support incoming Grade nine students.
• Our television station (JTV) produces daily broadcasts throughout the school year.
• The Relay for Life initiative continues to raise thousands of dollars every year.
• The Rainbow Alliance club started up in 2010 as a follow-up to the Gay/Straight Alliance Club
• Our computer science students continue to win awards and scholarships competing in events such as the Orbits, Animal Adventure and My Globe competitions.